A Review of Animated Music Video ‘All Over’ by Cruisr

29/11/2020

The mature-marked animated music video ‘All Over’ has surprised me by its astonishing transition of 50 images from at least 38 classic movies in history. It is animated by two-dimensional computer techniques based on Cruisr’s song ‘All Over’. And it also absorbs and reappears many classic films’ actor images and classic shots to describe the simple but abstract lyrics in this song, which I think the makers did a great work on not only its cool style, but its smoothing transition of animation.

The video sets up two basic characters as male and female(or two well-known actors) to create mutually reactive scenes inspired from classic movies. In the beginning, there are two heads morphing themselves into different persons whom mostly are famous celebrities or surreal animation characters. From a fantastic transition into a boxer, this style changes into a scene with simple but symbolic background which consists of simple geometric or classic movie scenes, simultaneously with these two characters transiting from imaginations. I can see that these two characters mostly represent two kinds of couples, and sometimes they show love or hurt action to each other, which totally matches the topic of this song: going all over. And it ends up with the beginning’s style—two heads. When this video uses these classic movies’ similar meaning of images to strengthen its core idea, I think it make sense for all these transitions.

Also, its cool style worths a look. Throughout the whole video, it uses a kind of dark drawing strokes which remind me of old movie or fashion posters with print styles in black and white, and distinctive solid colours like yellow, pink, blue and orange. When the title appears or during the two-head transition part, the background takes an old paper-like colour and little textures on screen, even though it is still a digital work. In fact, this style does bring me back to the movie ages. So unlike other commercial colourful computer animations, it obviously seeks for a feeling of past ages, which expends the topic of this song and lyrics. What is more, I think it also shows a good example of practicing unlimited transitions as well. Its wonderful and rhythm-following transition seems to grab the audience’s attention easily, and to leave a highly completed animated frames. Personally speaking, its art style and amazing transition really inspire me a lot at this moment.

MV address: https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/113248603